The Crow Or Absaroka
As this tribe belongs to the Hidatsa linguistic substock, it is very
probable that the social laws and customs of the one people are identical
with those of the other, as there has been nothing to cause extensive
It is not known whether the Hidatsa and Crow tribes ever camped in a
circle. Morgan's list of the Crow gentes is given, with his peculiar
notation, as follows:
1. Prairie Dog gens, A-che-pae-be'-cha.
2. Bad Leggings, E-sach'-ka-buk.
3. Skunk, Ho-ka-rut'-cha.
4. Treacherous Lodges, Ash-bot-chee-ah.
5. Lost Lodges, Ah-shin'-nae de'-ah (possibly intended for Last Lodges,
those who camped in the rear).
6. Bad Honors, Ese-kep-kae'-buk.
7. Butchers. Oo-sae-bot'-see.
8. Moving Lodges, Ah-hae-chick.
9. Bear-paw Mountain, Ship-tet'-zae.
10. Blackfoot Lodges, Ash-kane'-na.
11. Fish Catchers, Boo-a-da'-sha.
12. Antelope, O-hot-du-sha.
13. Raven, Pet-chale-ruh-pae'-ka.